Thursday, July 18, 2013

It starts...

So I went through the six month pre-op process required by my insurance.  I made sure to dot the i's and cross the t's. I squirreled away all the supplies I thought I needed, the protein powder in various flavors, different measuring devices, special mixer cups.  Over booked the DVR to record lots of reruns of shows I have wanted to check out.   Packed my hospital to go bag and went merrily on my way for Gastric Bypass.  

WOOHOO!   FINALLY!   I made it!  But wait...there's more!

Discomfort was as expected.   The rest of that day was spent alternating between napping, peeing, and walking.  Bright and early the next morning I had the swallow test.  This sounded scary to me.  I was envisioning alien abduction style probing but from the other end!  You stand while they take X-rays of you swallowing a liquid.  Took more time for them to prep the machine then to actually do the test. 

Successful swallow test meals time to start drinking protein shakes!   At first this was awesome!  My brain thought I was a few hamburgers short but my new stomach said NOT SO FAST!  A few sips and all thought of food was gone.  If it was not for the nursing staff asking if I was ready for the next serving I would not have eaten again.  That night I was feeling REAL full of myself and walked the floor unassisted.  (My husband decided to make a trip to town for real food and I didnt want to wait)  I made 4 trips around the department before retiring for the night.

Last day in the hospital.  So much pain.  I over did it the night before with my walk.   Other than that I was good to go!  Went home to my comfy couch and all my survival kit of varies WLS necessities.






No comments:

Post a Comment