Thursday, July 18, 2013

Water... my new nemisis

Fresh out of the hospital things seemed to be going real well.  I made a days worth of protein shakes in the morning using a powder and a shaker I acquired from my doctors office.  I prepped a huge tub of water and got situated on the couch for a marathon of Castle (never watched it before.  LOVE IT!).  I had my cell phone newly programmed to chime every 2 hours to remind me to get 2 oz of protein shake and it worked like a charm!

But towards the end of the day I realized my water cup was still nearly full!  I was never thirsty.  I never had a thought of that cup all day and it was within reach every moment!  I got in as much as I could for the rest of the day and went to bed swearing "Tomorrow I will do better!"

Next day came... same problem.  At this point I realize my.. um.. works were not producing and had not since before surgery.  This will not stand!

A new day.  A new approach!  Everything prepped for a day of relaxation, an extra shot of milk of magnesia for some added excitement and a new plan for the fight with H2O.  Just like the timer on my phone for the protein shakes I made a new one.  But this one was set to go off every 5 minutes.  *ring ring* Sip and when I got to within 30 minutes of my protein shot I set the timer to go off again an hour later since your not suppose to drink water 30 minute before and after the protein drink.

VICTORY IS MINE!

My first week post op was spent fine tuning this process.

Water Tips:

Use a timer to remind you to drink!  I hear it takes 30 days to learn a new habit but as little as 3 days to die of dehydration.  If the phone is too much to deal with, a simple egg timer would work well for helping you keep to a schedule.

Get a cup that is visibly measured!  I tried to use water bottles or regular cups but without seeing exactly what I took in I had no idea where I was for the day.  I got one that was measured every ounce for 32oz.  Halfway through the day if I had not finished that cup yet I knew I had lots of work to do for the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment